North Dakota Dinner
Cook Time: 1 hour
·2 (16 oz) cans cream style corn
·5 med potatoes, peeled & sliced
·2 Tbsp butter or margarine, cut into 6 pats
·2 tsp flour
·1 tsp paprika
·1 small onion (to be cooked with hamburger) optional
·1 lb ground beef
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Brown ground beef and onions in medium frying pan. Drain excess fat.
3. Layer the meat and potatoes in the casserole dish by spreading half of the ground beef, then layer half of the sliced potatoes. Add remaining ground beef and then remaining potatoes.
4. Sprinkle flour over potatoes. Add three pats of butter.
5. Cover with creamed corn, sprinkle with paprika.
6. Top with remaining 3 pats of butter.
7. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour or until potatoes are done.
Cook Time: 20 minutes
For the crust:
·2 cups flour
·1/2 cup sugar
·1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
·1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
·1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces
For the filling:
·1 pound cream cheese, at room temperature
·3/4 cup sugar
·1 teaspoon vanilla extract
·1 egg, at room temperature
·For the topping:
·2 tablespoons sugar
·1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
·3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, if desired, cored, and thinly sliced
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Lightly grease and flour a 9x13-inch pan.
1. Place the flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl or food processor fitted with a steel blade and mix to combine.
2. Add the vanilla and butter, a little at a time.
3. Press into the baking pan and bake in oven until slightly golden but not brown, about 12 to 15 minutes.
5. Lower the oven temperature to 400 degrees.
To make the filling:
1. Mix the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla in mixer (preferably with a paddle) and beat until creamy.
2. Add the egg, mix to combine, and pour over the cooled crust.
1. Place the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and mix to combine.
2. Place the apples on top of the filling in two or three columns.
3. Sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar and transfer to the oven.
4. Bake until firm and a rich brown, about 20 minutes. Cut into 20 to 24 pieces.