"And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God." ~Romans 12:2 NKJV~
A man’s heart plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps. ~Prov. 16:9~

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Word Roots A2

We were given an opportunity to review a book were using as part of our Language Art studies. It’s titled Word Roots A2. It’s made through the Critical Thinking Co. for grades 5-12+. This student workbook is 80 pages and there are 50 activities to do. You will find an answer guide in the back to check for correct answers. Here’s a description of what you’ll find in this book:

Word Roots teaches students the meanings of Latin and Greek prefixes, roots, and suffixes commonly used in English. Learning word elements dramatically improves spelling and the ability to decode unfamiliar words. Word Roots will add hundreds of words to your students' vocabulary and greater depth to their thinking and writing.
For each lesson students first learn the meanings of prefixes, roots, and suffixes. Then they
Divide known and unknown words into their elements or assemble elements to form whole words.
Match word parts or whole words to their definitions by analyzing their meanings.
Apply their new vocabulary in sentences.
Teaching Support
Includes a Pretest/Posttest, answers, and a dictionary of words derived from Latin/Greek roots.
Note: Roots, prefixes, and suffixes are Latin or Greek in origin.”

You can purchase this book for $14.99 at Timberdoodle. While you’re over there why not check out their lineup for Critical Thinking Press and Complete Curriculum Kits.


Here you can see my son getting ready to do a lesson for the day in the Word Roots A2. He is in the 5th grade but he’s also a child with special needs. In my opinion I believe this is an excellent book for children who doesn’t struggle in the way my son does. The examples and directions are very clear. Most children without learning difficulties should be able to follow them with no problem. One thing that gets in my son’s way is when he’s not fully comprehending what he is supposed to do. 


Here is a picture of my son doing an exercise out of his workbook. First we go over the directions to make sure they are clear to him. We discuss how they did the examples and any other questions he may have. Then I leave him to himself to do the work on his own and I’ll check it afterwards. When I check over his work I notice he’s doing well with finding the prefix, root words, and suffix. Once he gets to the matching the definitions with the words he’s not doing too good. I believe he’s not comprehending the meanings of the words even with the examples in the boxes given on the page. He’s guessing but not getting any of them right. This in turn is causing him not to be able to choose the appropriate word that goes in each sentence at the end of that days exercise. 

I’m thinking I’ll give him another year for his mind to mature a little more to see if he’ll be able to grasp a better understanding of what to do. This is how I usually do things with him and he’s able to do the work without being frustrated and he masters the concept. Other than that I really liked the way this book ties in to our Latin studies we were already doing.

Legal Disclosure:
As a member of Timberdoodle's Blogger Review Team I received a free copy of this book in exchange for a frank and unbiased review.

2 comments:

wdworkman said...

We recently started the Word Roots A1 book which has the same ages listed. My son is almost 13 & doing fine with it, but I know he wouldn't have been ready for it two years ago.

Janet W
http://homeschoolblogger.com/wdworkman/

Growing In God's Wisdom said...

Thank you for sharing that Janet. I figure another year or two my son would be ready for it too. Thanks for stopping by :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...