"And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God." ~Romans 12:2 NKJV~
A man’s heart plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps. ~Prov. 16:9~

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Who Am I?

Photobucket
I have to say I really enjoy the material from Apologia ministries.  My first year on the TOS Crew we did a review on one of their science books and my son has been hooked every since.  Little did I know they would continue to expand on what they offer.  That’s why I’m excited to tell you about one of their products in their “What We Believe” series we received for review.  The series consists of 4 volumes.  The first is Who is God?, second is “Who Am I? (and what am I doing here?)”, third is “Who is my Neighbor?”, and the last volume (will be available soon) is “What on Earth Can I Do?”.
Photobucket For review we were blessed with “Who Am I? (and what am I doing here?).”  This is their second book in the "What We Believe" series. This is a family-inclusive study of biblical worldview. To my shock when the box arrived from UPS there was more in it then I had assumed.  Not only did we receive the hardcover book, but we were sent the whole set.  The set included the 262 page textbook that costs $39.00, the audio CD that costs $19.00, the Notebooking Journal that costs $24.00, and their coloring book which costs $8.00.  The age group for this curriculum is 6-14.  Because of it’s different components it makes a great “multigrade curriculum for the whole family”.

Who Am I? (and what am I doing here?) is written directly to the student.  The lessons are in a conversational tone.  Who Am I? “helps children understand what it means to be fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of the Most High God”. This study will help them to develop a healthy self-image based on these biblical truths:

* God made me in His image and crowned me with glory.
* He has given me special gifts and a unique purpose in life.
* I can creatively express God's love.
* I am meant to think about beautiful and praiseworthy things, especially God and His Word.
* I must make decisions based on God's truth.
* I can always know the wise thing to do.
* I must cultivate the fruit of the Spirit in my life.
* I am a beloved child of God whose true identity is found in Christ.

Photobucket The Who Am I? notebooking journal is 247 pages.  It helps students to personalize and capture what they have learned.  Several of the activities they cover are: Think about It, Words to Know, Hide it in My Heart, Word Puzzles, mini books, My Prayer, Praise Reports, I spy! and more.  In the front of the notebook is a lesson plan broken down into what to do each day as you cover the lessons.  The study is set up in 2 week segments to complete.  Some parts are pretty lengthy than others.  Not everything has to be done. The great thing about it is you can set it up to work at your child’s own pace.


Photobucket The Who Am I? audio CD is in MP3 format.  I find it best to use it on our computers.  It can be used right along with the textbook.  It’s great for auditory learners, slow readers, or other disabilities your child may have.  The book is broken up into 8 lessons.  Each lesson is broken down into 15 or more subheadings.  Click here to see the table of contents.

Here is a sample of how the lessons are structured:

Each lesson opens with an introduction to the main topic.  It’s called “The Big Idea”.  Next are the learning objectives called “What will you do?”.
There is also the “short story” which features characters that are about the same age as your kids who has a different worldview than a Christian does.
The “think about it” has thought provoking questions so that your child can dig deeper into the short story and see if he or she is comprehending what was read.
Included are also “Word you need to Know” which are vocabulary words to write the definitions to.  There’s also the “Hide it in Your Heart” which provides Bible memory verses that your kids can copy into their notebook.
These are just a few that the lessons provide.  To see a sample of a chapter click here.

Photobucket
The Who Am I? coloring book is 64 pages of images that goes along with the lessons.  It’s great for anyone who loves to color or for the younger ones to keep busy while listening to the story being read on audio.  That way they are taking part of the learning experience.

My son was excited about the things he's learning from Who Am I?.  He had first showed it to me in a TOS magazine long before we reviewed it.  I surprised him one day and told him that we would get to have it soon.  He couldn’t wait for it to arrive.  Once the box got here he wanted to check out the contents.  He couldn’t wait to get started on it the next school day.  It takes us a little longer to complete the lessons than what the lesson plans they have already provided.  We could spend all day doing just this curriculum because there is so much to cover.  I just let him do a little each day so he's not overwhelmed with covering too much at one time.  Some parts of it are too advanced for him so we just skip over those.  He was glad it came with an audio CD because just looking at all the reading was a bit too much for him.  All in all he really enjoys “Who Am I? (and what am I doing here?).  He can’t wait to get started each day.  As with other Apologia materials I am very pleased with what they have to offer in the “what we believe series”. Other crew members share their experience so be sure to stop by the crew blog and see what they had to say.

Photobucket
Disclaimer: The views and opinions in this review are entirely my own. I was not paid to write this but received a complete set of of Who Am I? books free of charge to review, and give my honest opinion.

1 comment:

Stacie said...

This sounds great! I'm always looking for a "bible study" that all of my children can participate in.

Thanks for the review.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...