"And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God." ~Romans 12:2 NKJV~
A man’s heart plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps. ~Prov. 16:9~

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Apologia: Who is My Neighbor?

Photobucket
Hello dear readers. I'm back with another review from Apologia's “What We Believe” series .  If you have not seen my first review about their 2nd book in this series see it here.  This series consists of 4 volumes that are “a student-directed, Bible-based curriculum where your children will learn how to use Scripture as a lens through which to view the world around them (by seeing everything the way God sees it and know the truth)”. The first volume is Who is God and Can I really know Him?. The second is “Who Am I? (and What Am I Doing Here?)”. The third one is “Who is my Neighbor? (and Why does He need Me?)”, and the last volume which will be available sometime this year is “What on Earth Can I Do?”.

This time we were blessed to review “Who is my Neighbor? (and Why does He need Me?)”.  This is the 3rd book from the "What We Believe" series. These are aimed at children ages 6-14 but can be used with multiple ages all at once. Because of it’s different components it makes a great “multi-grade curriculum for the whole family”. We were sent all the books and materials they sell in this particular volume series.  Each separate book can stand on its own, so you don’t have to purchase the other books in the series in order to use it. I personally think they all are more effective when used together.

Photobucket The Who is my Neighbor? textbook is a 276 pages. The price for this hardback book is $39.00. It is divided into 8 chapters (lessons).  It is "a family-inclusive study of biblical worldview that teaches students the basic truths of the Christian faith”.  In this volume “students learn what it means to be the salt and light to the world". The book consists of 8 lessons.  Each lesson is broken down into several subheadings. Here are the titles of each lesson:

1. Does Anyone Really Need Me?
2. How Can I Make a Difference?
3. Who is My Neighbor?
4. Why did God Make Families?
5. What Can I Do for my Country?
6. Why can't We All just Get Along?
7. Who is God's Family?
8. Why does the Church need Me?

Here is a glimpse of one of the stories called “The Wedding Feast”:

My beautiful picture
Photobucket
The Who is my Neighbor? Notebooking Journal is a 240 page spiral bound notebook.  The price for it is $24.00. This notebook helps the students to personalize and capture what they have learned.  Several of the activities they will do are: Think about It, Words to Know, Hide it in My Heart, Word Puzzles, mini books, My Prayer, Praise Reports, and even a I spy!  There is some great art graphics and writing prompts too. On the front of the notebook you see a white block at the bottom. This is where your child writes his or her name. This makes the notebook more personal to them. Also in the front is a lesson plan broken down into what to do each day as you cover the lessons.  This is what it looks like:

My beautiful picture
The suggested plan covers a lesson within 3 weeks for 3 days a week.  Some of the reading is lengthy and some activities my take more time than others. The way they have the schedule set up is only a suggestion. You can (like I did) just set it up to work at your child’s own pace.

Photobucket The Who is my Neighbor? Coloring Book is a 64 page softback book of images that goes along with the lessons.  Each drawing represents part of the story or teaching to reinforce the lessons. It’s great for anyone who loves to color or for the younger ones to keep busy while listening to the story being read. The price for this book is $8.00. Here is a page my son colored while he listened to me read about “The Buddy System”:

My beautiful picture
My 12 year old son was thrilled we got another book from the “What We Believe” series. I already know we're going to have to get the first and last volume because he wants the whole set.  When he saw me come back from checking the mail with a big box in my had he had to see what it was.  I couldn't get it opened fast enough. He sat flipping through the pages and checking out it's contents.

It takes us a little longer to complete the lessons than what the lesson plan suggestion lays out.  I spread it out over the whole week so he can do a little each day. We were a bit disappointed there wasn't an audio CD with this one.  Maybe they will eventually make one. I hope so because my son really enjoyed listening to it with our last review. There have been some great discussions in our home due to what we’ve read. We are still working through the beginning lessons. We won't be finishing up where we left off with this because we still have volume 2 to finish. We'll just come back to this one after that's complete.

I am always impressed at the quality of Apologia Ministries' materials. This is one company who has curriculum that hasn't disappointed me yet. There are other ways to keep up with them and their latest updates. Check them out on their blog or Facebook. Now that you've heard my opinion check out the crew blog and see what other crew members had to say.

Photobucket

Disclaimer: The views and opinions in this review are entirely my own. As a member of the Schoolhouse Review Crew I was not paid to write this but received Who Is My Neighbor? at no cost to me for review purposes, and to give my honest opinion.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...