"And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God." ~Romans 12:2 NKJV~
A man’s heart plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps. ~Prov. 16:9~

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Europe

I'm back to share with you another continent we have studied in our 7 Continents Unit Study. This time we learned all about the continent of Europe. Did you know that Europe is the second smallest continent in the world? It's smaller than every other continent except Australia. There are over 40 countries in Europe. Some that you may have heard of are Germany, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Italy, Ireland, France, and the UK. Did you know that Europe has no deserts? It is the only continent without any. Did you know that most countries in Europe uses a single currency? It is called Euro. Did you know that Vatican City is the smallest country in Europe? It's small in size and population. For our dinner we came up with a mixture of dishes representing a few European countries.

My beautiful picture   My beautiful picture
We started our meal off with an appetizer. These are called Bierocks. They are popular in Germany. These are made up of cooked ground beef with onions, cabbage, and cheese all wrapped into a dough and baked in the oven. These are  delicious and addictive!
My beautiful picture
For our main meal we had Yorkshire Pudding with onion gravy, Cottage Pie, and cabbage with apples (not pictured here).
 My beautiful picture
Yorkshire Pudding is popular with the British. It seemed strange to learn that it actually is a bread. It can be served from a whole pan or made into smaller serving portions like popovers. These are more lighter and fluffier than popovers. It is usually served with a rich onion gravy poured over them. These are so good I could eat half a pan by myself but my pants wouldn’t fit any longer if I did. LOL!
    My beautiful picture
We also had Cottage Pie. Here in American we use the word Shepherd Pie and Cottage Pie to mean the same thing. We learned that Cottage Pie has ground beef in it while Shepherd’s Pie is the one that uses ground lamb meat. It was nice to know the difference.

My beautiful picture
We ended the meal with a light dessert. These are Russian Tea Cakes. I could drink tea and pop these in my mouth all day. They are really good while still warm but you’ll want to cool them down for the kids to eat. Hope you learned something new about Europe. I’ll be back in a few weeks to share about the next continent we are studying. Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...