"And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God." ~Romans 12:2 NKJV~
A man’s heart plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps. ~Prov. 16:9~

Saturday, May 25, 2013

North America

I can hardly believe we’re almost done with our study of the 7 continents. It seems like we just began but surprisingly we’re near the end.  All month we have been studying about the continent we live on which is North America. Did you know North America is the third largest continent? Yes it is, following Asia and Africa.  Did you know North America was named after a famous explorer? That explorer is Americo Vespucci.  Do you know what the three largest countries in North America are? They are Canada, Mexico, and the United States.  Did you know North America has the largest fresh water lake in the world? It’s called Lake Superior. It was also interesting to learn that North America is the only continent that has every kind of climate.  We had no problem coming up with some goodies to eat to end our unit study. We had a celebration style meal.

My beautiful picture
    My beautiful picture
We had pigs in a blanket for an appetizer, 7 layer dip, and taco pie followed that with Coca Cola cake for dessert.

My beautiful picture
Our appetizer was pigs in a blanket made with lil’ smokies wrapped in crescent rolls that were cut into thirds.  Each piece of dough had Dijon mustard spread onto it before putting the meat in.  I served this with a choice of ketchup, BBQ sauce, and a tangy mustard sauce.

 My beautiful picture   My beautiful picture  
Here is our 7 Layer Dip (refried black beans, sour cream, salsa, lettuce, shredded cheese, green onions, and black olives).  You can’t see the cheese because we accidently put it under the lettuce instead of on top.  We ate it with 4 different kinds of tortilla chips.  Those are regular Doritos, Spicy Salsa, Guacamole, and Ranch.  It was flavorful and tasty!

My beautiful picture
This is our Taco Pie. It’s made by making a crust with mashed potatoes.  You cook some ground beef with onion then drain and stir in some taco seasoning and salsa.  You bake the meat mixture in the oven and place your favorite taco toppings on top before serving it.

My beautiful picture    My beautiful picture
This is our Coca Cola Cake.  This was rich and yummy. We ate it with vanilla ice cream.  I don’t know about you but I always think cake tastes better with a big scoop of ice cream on top.

I hope you have enjoyed hearing about our study of North America.  I’ll be back in a few weeks to tell you about the last continent in our study.  Have you figured out what it is yet?  If not you’ll have to wait until I come back to share it with my readers.  Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...